Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Building Your Capacity as a Mathematician


Back into the "viewer" mailbag tonight.  If you didn't see last night's post, you might want to check it out, so you know what I mean by that!

Emily from Louisiana wants to know where I get my ideas.  For me, it all starts with John Van de Walle.  Period.  No matter how many times I read his book, I always find something new.  Or, I'm reminded of something I read and had forgotten.  It's interesting that this book is not new, but it is so amazingly aligned with the Common Core way of thinking that it's a perfect complement. When I am getting ready to plan a new unit with my teachers, I pull out Van de Walle and reread the pages pertaining to the concept we'll be planning, just so it's all fresh in my mind.  I've provided information about the various Van de Walle books below.

So where else do I get my ideas?  I READ!  This won't be news to some of you, but I have a teensy little  freakish obsession with math books!  I very rarely read one from cover to cover.  Usually, I'll just open one and read a chapter.  They are seriously in piles all around my house.  Some people have cats, I have math books.  I blog about the books I read a lot, and you can find links to most of them on this Pinterest board.

Tune in tomorrow night for more from the "viewer" mailbag!  :)

Teaching Student-Centered Mathematics: Grades K-3
This is the current K-3 version.  It is being revised  with a release date in January.  There are also 3-5 and 5-8 versions.  It looks like 5-8 will become 6-8 when the new edition is released in February.  The new 3-5 version is also set to release in February.
Teaching Mathematics Developmentally Gr
This is a new version for PK-2 which can be pre-ordered for delivery in January.  The other new versions (3-5 and 6-8) are set to release in February, but there is not currently an option to pre-order those.
Elementary and Middle School Mathematics: Teaching Developmentally: The Professional Development Edition for Mathematics Coaches and Other Teacher Leaders
This book is designed to be used for professional development, and it's kind of pricey.  This book will help you build your capacity as a mathematician, and it also includes information about how to facilitate the learning of others.


16 comments :

  1. I am SOOO glad you introduced me to the book by Van De Walle...I reference it ALL the time!!!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. These books are the foundation for what I teach! I can't wait for the new editions to come out...my pages are getting weathered!

    Meg
    www.fourthgradestudio.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I was so excited to see the new editions.

      Delete
  3. I have the K-3 Van De Walle book but am wondering if the 3-5 version wouldn't be more useful since I teach 3rd grade, especially with the more rigorous curriculum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The current books overlap--K-3 and 3-5--so it was always tricky to know which one to use. The new versions are more grade specific--PK-2 and 3-5. I think you're probably right about the 3-5 version being more helpful to you. Especially when you already have the K-3 to help you understand where your kiddos are coming from and to give you ideas for remediation.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the book suggestions!
    Shibahn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are definitely good ones, Shibahn! :)

      Delete
  5. I LOVE your blog! I have a pile of math books here, too, and every time I see one in your blog I want to add to the collection! I use the dot patterns from a Van de Walle article/chapter I found while participating in a math workshop, and I REALLY need to get the whole book. My kids love doing dot plate and domino flashes- it's great to see them get excited to talk about math and see their faces light up when the light bulb goes on for them!

    I am going to be trying your decomposing numbers activities as I look for seasonal hands-on activities to keep us learning until the holidays. As always, thanks for sharing! :)

    Rhiannon
    www.slidingintofirstgrade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Rhiannon, you would LOVE the Van de Walle book! So many great ideas. Definitely put it on your Christmas list. :)

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the info on Van de Walle's new release dates. I've got a copy, but my school is looking to purchase it for other teachers.
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm anxious to see the differences in the new release. Hard to improve on the original.

      Delete
  7. I still have my Van de Walle text book from 15+ years ago and the K-3 book from a few years back. They are both dog-eared, tattered, highlighted, and full of post it notes! So sorry that he is no longer with us, but he sure left quite a legacy.

    ~Nikki
    Teaching in Progress

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean! My are well used. I found out recently that he was actually quite young (63ish) when he passed. Such a shame.

      Delete
  8. Hi Donna!
    I love that you read professioanl books as much as me! I have been guilty of focusing mostly on literacy so I am following your pinterest board to choose my next pd book. We read Van De Walle in college so maybe I need to dust off my old college books!

    Jennifer
    http://teachingtoinspirein5th.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, Jennifer, I read SO much! But Van de Walle is still my hands-down favorite. :)

      Delete

Comments make me smile! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...