Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Target 20: A Game of Strategy and Computation


I hope you all are enjoying your Thanksgiving break, and I trust you are not camped out outside of Walmart waiting for Black Friday!

Tonight I have a little computation freebie called Target 20.  It's another computation dice game that involves strategy.  Here's how this one goes.  Each player needs a score sheet.  On a player's turn he/she rolls 4 dice, makes two 2-digit numbers, and adds or subtracts them.  The goal is to get as close to 20 as possible.  The LOW score wins this game, so you have to think carefully about how you make your 2-digit numbers.  The number can be over or under 20, and your score is the difference.  For example, a player would score 2 points for either 18 or 22.

So if you rolled the numbers shown above, what would you have done on your turn?  I was able to get a difference of 2.  Can anybody beat that?

Click here to grab the score sheet.


5 comments :

  1. Donna,Thank you for sharing! I am going to think about how to change this game slightly for my firsties!
    Camille
    An Open Door
    P.S. If you let me multiply, I can get a score of 1. (3X6) + 5-4 = 1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, so you want to bend the rules, huh? Ha ha. Check out Target 11 for a similar game that your firsties would like.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for another activity for my GT second graders. This will keep them occupied for a while until they figure out a strategy to make it go quickly! I can barely stay a step ahead of them this year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good that they keep you on your toes! Ha ha. I'm glad this will help out. :)

      Delete
  3. Do you know the game Mathador Flash? I'm afraid it's a French game but the rules are simple with dice.
    Roll a two ten-faces dies, that makes your target number.
    Roll five dies (4 faces, 6 faces, 10 faces, 12 faces, 20 faces)
    Combine the five numbers with all four operations to reach the target.
    Each + or * is one point.
    Each - is two points.
    Each / is three points.
    If you use all five numbers to reach the target, you have a Mathador, scores 13.

    Make a google images research using the words Mathador flash.
    There's an online app (in French)
    http://www.mathador.fr/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=20&Itemid=37

    I hope it's useful to you. Excuse my poor English. I'm not selling anything, basically, everyone can use their dice to play the game. I thought I'd share as I find this blog really good!
    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...