Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Games for Making 5


Print Friendly and PDF

FIRST, I want to introduce you to the Print Friendly button, now found at the bottom of each post--down where you would add a comment.  This button enables you to print a post and just the post--not the header or the side bar or the advertisements. Maybe I'm the only blogger who didn't know about this, but I thought it was very cool!

On to business...

I love planning with my teachers, because it gives me inspiration for new activities and workstations.  My 1st Grade team wanted some easy workstations for practicing combinations to five.  We spent a few minutes brainstorming and came up with three different activities.  Two of the activities use the same cards, so that means even less prep time.

Roll for 5

Materials:

  • recording sheet for each player
  • number cube with the 6 replaced by a 0 ( put a small sticky dot with a 0 over the side of the number cube with a 6)
  • Two different colors of pencils or crayons

Directions:

  • Player 1 rolls the number cube and finds the row that uses that number to make 5.  For example, if I roll a 2, I look for the 2 + __ = 5 row.
  • Using one color, fill in dots on the 5-frame for the number rolled.  In my example, I would color in 2 circles.
  • Using the second color, fill in the rest of the dots.  
  • Complete the number sentence.
  • Play passes to Player 2.
  • If, on your turn, you roll a number you have already used (for example, if I roll another 2), you color in a smiley face at the bottom of the recording sheet.  The object is to get as many combinations for 5 as you can before coloring in the three smiley faces.
For fast finishers, put blank 5-frames in the workstation with 2-color counters.  After students play the game once, they can continue to practice combinations for 5 by rolling the number cube and using the 5-frame and counters to show the combination. For example, if I roll a 2, I would put 2 counters of one color on the 5-frame and 3 counters of the second color. 

Make 5 Memory


Materials:

  • One set of Make 5 cards
  • Counters (to support kids who might need to use the manipulatives)

Directions:

  • Mix up the cards and lay them face down in a 3 by 4 array.
  • Player 1 turns over two cards.  If the cards make a 5, the player keeps the cards.  If they don't make a 5, the players turns them back face down in the same spot.  Matching cards can be two numerals, two dot cards, or a numeral and a dot card--as long as they make 5.
  • Play continues until all matches have been claimed.
Make 5 Go Fish 

Materials:

  • 2 sets of Make 5 cards (24 cards total for two players)
  • Counters (to support kids who might need to use the manipulatives)

Directions:

  • Mix up the cards and deal 5 cards to each player.  The remaining cards are placed face down in the "pond".
  • Players look for matches (combinations of 5) in their hands and lay down any matching pairs.  As with the Memory game, pairs can be two numerals, two dot cards, or a numeral and a dot card.
  • Players take turns asking the other player for a card that would match a card to make 5.  For example, if I am holding a 2 in my hand, I might ask, "Do you have a 3?".
  • If the asked player has the card, they must hand it over.  The player receiving the card lays down the match and takes another turn.
  • If the asked player asked does not have the card, he/she says, "Go fish", and the asking player takes a card from the pond.
  • The game ends when one player runs out of cards.  The player with the most cards wins.


PS--look down just a little ways for that Print Friendly button so you can print this post!



26 comments :

  1. Love, love, love the print friendly button. You made my day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! It made MY day. I was practically giddy! :)

      Delete
  2. I didn't know about the print friendly button! (I may never make it to bed tonight, lol!)

    Thanks for sharing these resources. I have a few kindergartners who are ready for this type of activity. :-)
    ReadWriteSing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you find the resources useful, Chrissy. Have fun with the Print button. :)

      Delete
  3. These are great...thank you! I love the new button =)
    Bobbie

    The Daily Cupcake…A Kindergarten Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, the PrintFriendly button was quite a find! Ha ha.

      Delete
  4. love the button and everything else you do....

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE the print friendly button! Thank you for the resources.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I was pretty giddy when I found the button. Ha ha.

      Delete
  6. I Love the printer friendly button!I also enjoy your resources. I teach special education K-6, so I am looking for many levels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Printer Friendly=Happiness! Consider that "new" math! Ha ha.

      Delete
  7. Thanks so much, Donna. I just went to a first grade common core conference and this fits in PERFECTLY! Are you interested in resources that were shared with me? I don't have a blog, but I could email them to you. Thanks for your generosity.
    Julie
    heyjbales@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Julie! Glad to hear I'm so well aligned! Sure! My email is mathcoachcorner@gmail.com.

      Delete
  8. Love your work as always, Donna. I, too, am very excited that I can print out just the posts!!! Awesome :)
    Vivian

    ReplyDelete
  9. This button is the best! Sent the text to my school email! Love these activities! They will be perfect to start in my 1st grade class!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My district is just adopting the Common Core Standards this year and chose not to adopt a particular curriculum. Teachers are scrambling to find great materials and synthesize them into a program that teaches the standards effectively. Many of us feel very overwhelmed, to say the least. I have found your blog to be an amazing resource. I wish our district had a Math Coach! Thanks again, and please know that your work is making a great impact on the lives of so many teachers and students!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it seems like an uphill battle! I'm really glad that my blog is helping out. :)

      Delete
  11. Thanks so much for always sharing so freely. I'm new to Kindergarten this year, having been a 5th grade Reading teacher for most of my career. You have been a Godsend to me! I certainly appreciate your giving attitude!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's absolutely my pleasure! So glad it's helpful to you. :)

      Delete
  12. Super happy I found your blog and games and love the printer friendly button! How cool! Thank you so much for all of these great finds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How cool is that button, Chris?! Happy to share. :)

      Delete
  13. Hi Donna! After being off for several days, I used your materials to review addition facts with my kindergartener. We made it in to a little competition and he LOVED it! He didn't even know we were doing school work! Thanks for the awesome resource! xoxox from Jersey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Love hearing about kiddos getting excited about math. :)

      Delete

Comments make me smile! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...