Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Place Value: Reading Large Numbers


Would your kiddos have a hard time reading the number 205,017,300?  But why?  The biggest number you ever have to read is a 3-digit number!  My kiddos never believe me when I tell them that, so I have to prove it to them.

Our numbers are divided into 3-digit groups called periods.  The periods are separated by commas.  Each comma has it's own name: thousand, million, billion, etc.  If you can read a 3-digit number, and you know the comma names, you can read ANY number!

Start by writing a 3-digit number on the board: 205
Have the students read the number: two hundred five (remember, there is no and when reading numbers)
Add three leading digits and a comma: 127,205
Tell students that the comma has a name, thousand.
Cup your hands around the 127 and have students read it, point to the comma and have them say its name (thousand), cup your hands around the 205 and have them read it.  Repeat several times with the same number--remember to cup your hands and point to the comma so they make that connection.
Add three more leading digits and a comma: 400,127,205
Ask students if they know this comma's name (million).
Have the kids read the number by chunking it up: 3-digits, comma name, 3-digits, comma name, 3-digits

That's all there is to it!  It's fun to take them on to bigger and bigger numbers.  After trillion, I usually tell them to research the rest of the period names and come back and share with the class.

One note, this process will definitely help kids be successful reading and writing larger numbers, but it doesn't mean they understand  them.  That's a totally different story.  Kids need lots of experience understanding the magnitude of larger numbers. Here are several good books:

Update...A reader just gave me a head up on a new book dealing with larger numbers.  It look super cute!


Download this handy place value helper chart and have your kids keep it handy.  There are three different versions: thousands, millions, and billions.  Notice how the charts highlight the patterns and comma names with color.  Remember, place value is all about patterns!




This flexible place value workstation activity is a great compliment to your place value unit!  Grab it for free. :)



32 comments :

  1. Wow, this is a fabulous tool! Thanks so much for sharing =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic idea! I am going to share this with my fellow teachers! THANKS AGAIN!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome. It's a very helpful tool for the kiddos.

      Delete
  3. I am so glad I found this post! I am teaching 6th grade, but I love to use picture books. I think I'm going to grab these for my Daily 5 Read to Someone. One of my favorite authors, and one of my favorite illustrators along with math instruction during reading time... I can't go wrong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you still use picture books with your older kids. Heck, I like picture books, so you're NEVER too old. Ha ha.

      Delete
  4. I drives me nuts when people put an "and" in a number! Thanks for the freebie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had an interesting Facebook conversation with an Aussie reader today, and apparently they DO say "and". They say "point" for the decimal point. I didn't realize that was not international. Learn something new every day!

      Delete
  5. These charts are FANTASTIC!! I stumbled upon your blog as I was searching for place value activities. I love how you explain to the kids that they are really only reading a 3-digit number. I am definitely sharing this with my teamies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love "teamies"! Yeah, it's a fun lesson--the kids just think its magic.

      Delete
  6. I teach it the same way you do with one addition. One of my colleagues in Florida introduced me to the talking comma. It is called the talking comma because it says its name. When she would read large numbers, she would use an exaggerated voice to say the word Thousand or Million. I use it every year with my kids now and they love to say their numbers with the talking comma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that's pretty cool, Tina. Talking commas...I can see how the kiddos would like that.

      Delete
  7. I teach it the same way too. In fact I'm working on an activity that practices this exact skill. Can't wait to share it with you. When my kiddos add an and in when reading whole numbers I tell them they have THE DREADED AND DISEASE. We all giggle and they try it again. Sometime it takes them three or four tries before they say it smoothly. I then declare them CURED. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's cute! I actually grew up saying the "and", so I had to retrain myself to leave it out!

      Delete
  8. Once again you share something so amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm always glad to hear my posts are useful. :)

      Delete
  9. This is very similar to how I teach place value, but slightly different than I normally explain it. I do like the idea of calling the commas thousands and millions etc. I also like the idea of cupping the number. I will definitely add this to my explanations for place value. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  10. It would be nice of you if you share a link to other sources that carry info on this subject in case you know any of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback! You can look for Place Value under Labels off to the right of this post to find additional posts about the subject.

      Delete
  11. Just getting ready to start place value with my 2nd graders today! Perfect timing for this post! Definitely going to use this! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the great place value charts! What a help!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much!! I had absolutely NO IDEA how to go about teaching my kids to read numbers correctly. You saved me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to be able to throw out a life preserver!!

      Delete
  14. Totally awesome resource, thanks!! I was just thinking I needed to make one of these tonight (and it was going to be color coded, just like yours) and now I don't have to. Sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect!! Glad I saved you some time! :)

      Delete
  15. This is such a great resource for reinforcing the concepts of place value. Thank you so much for sharing your creativity and sensible approach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, Cyndi-Lu! Place value is so important! :)

      Delete
  16. Thanks so much - I start place value this week and I know that this will really help them with reading the numbers! I'm a follower of your store :)
    Jenn
    Doodling Around in 6th Grade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great strategy, Jenn! I know your kiddos will be successful with it. :)

      Delete

Comments make me smile! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...