Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Parts of 100


Ten-frames aren't just for primary kiddos.  Here's a great activity from Van de Walle for working with parts of 100.

Make an easy little I Can card with directions similar to the following:
I Can...
  • Take turns with my partner rolling two number cubes 
  • Make a two-digit number from the digits rolled
  • Build the number using ten-frames
  • Mentally determine on my own, while my partner does the same, what number will combine with the number we created to make 100
  • Share my solution with my partner
  • Check my work by making the other part using the ten frames
  • Record my work in my Math Journal 
So, for example, if they roll a 3 and an 6, they can decide to make 36 or 63.  Assume they choose  36.  They build the number 36 using student ten-frame cards.  Each partner mentally calculates the amount needed to make 100 from 36, and then they share strategies.  One strategy that might be used is adding 4 to 36 to make 40 and then counting by tens to 100.  Another is to skip count forward by 10s from 36 to 96 and then add on the 4 ones.  The students share their strategies, check by building 64 with the ten-frame cards, and record their work.
Download this sheet, copy it on cardstock, laminate it, and cut the cards apart to make a student kit of small ten-frame cards.



7 comments :

  1. What perfect timing! I was wondering how I could create a hands-on activity for the students and "ta-da" here it is!!!!!!
    Thank you so much!
    Amy
    Where Seconds Count

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm glad THAT worked out so well! Ha ha!

      Delete
  2. Fabulous and I have the book too! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And Van de Walle is great, don't you think? I just couldn't do without that book.

      Delete
  3. I am in fact glad to glance at this weblog posts which contains tons of useful facts,
    thanks for providing these kinds of statistics.
    Also visit my webpage ; black friday 2012 ads

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all of your stuff! You are so awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...