Thursday, May 17, 2012

Primary Problem Solving Poster


In our district, we use a problem solving process called Understand, Plan, Do, Check.  We call it UPDC for short.  It's based on the work of George Polya.  We have a district poster describing the process, but we've been wanting one more appropriate for our primary classrooms.  I asked my 1st grade teachers for suggestions on the wording, and this is the poster I made based on their suggestions.  What do you think?

UPDATE: Had to make the intermediate one a little more kid-friendly, too!  Click on the captions to grab yours!
The primary version
An intermediate version

Are you looking for posters showing the Common Core Standards for Mathematical Practice?  I have both a primary set and an intermediate one in my TpT store.






18 comments:

  1. It's great to have a universal plan across a district so that everyone has a common language!

    Jessica Stanford
    Mrsstanfordsclass.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are the best!!!!!! This will be so helpful!!!! Thanks Donna!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy. Stay tuned for the intermediate version!

      Donna

      Delete
    2. This poster is great and can't wait to see what you use for intermediate students! Thanks! :)

      Josh
      Mr. B's Beach Brains

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks so much! It was fun to make. :)

      Donna

      Delete
  4. Great poster! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We do the same on I love the poster. I was thinking of putting it on the 1st page of their math notebook.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you know where there are goo strategy posters with illustrations for first grade. I am looking for something to remind them different strategies we have learned (Draw a model, write a number sentence, look for a pattern, etc) Would appreciate your help. Love this poster and love to follow your blog and fb page. Thanks for your insights!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great question, but I actually don't have an answer. Of course, I've seen them at the teacher supply store. Maybe I need to put that on my to-do list!

      Delete
  7. Great poster. My school uses Think Math as a curriculum. They use this process as well. The only difference is instead of the third step being called "do" it is "solve."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right, there are many versions, but it's all basically the same process.

      Delete
  8. Thank you! Love the primary version. I think this one will be terrific for my kinder-bears to have as a resource as we're learning more about numbers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is perfect for my fourth graders. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...