Sunday, April 22, 2012

Keep the End in Mind


 
Recently, I read an amazing book--Small Steps, Big Changes: Eight Essential Practices for Transforming Schools Through Mathematics.  Click here if you'd like to read my review.  Chapter 1, Keep the End in Mind, explains that for our instruction to be truly effective, we must define what success looks like.  They set the following goals for their students:
  • Think and reason effectively
  • Solve problems accurately, flexibly, and efficiently
  • Communicate clearly using mathematical language and representations
  • Demonstrate skills and knowledge on performance assessments as well as standardized tests
I love this set of goals because it brings focus to our work as teachers.  Think how powerful it would be if we kept our eye on these goals as we chose resources, planned activities, and developed assessments.

So it was with this small step in mind that I created Capture Four.  As a teacher, I love game concepts that can be used for different skills like, for instance, War.  All kids know how to play War, so you don't have to waste time teaching them how to play it.  My idea for this type of reusable game is Capture Four.  The object of the game is to capture 4 spaces in a row horizontally, vertically, or diagonally.  For this very simple version, players roll a number cube (with dots representing the numbers) and cover a space on the board that shows the number they rolled.  There is strategy involved because players have a choice of which space to cover.

So what does this have to do with the goals I listed at the top of the post?  Well, think about it.  Are the kiddos demonstrating a skill?  Certainly.  But, because of the strategy involved in practicing the skill, they are also thinking, reasoning, and problem solving.  Add a discussion time to the end of the class period to have students share their strategies, and you bring in the communication piece.

I hope this post causes you to stop and think about your math instruction this week.  As the title suggests, setting clear goals and keeping the end in mind is indeed a small step, but one that is capable of producing big changes!  Click here to grab your freebie, and have a great week!





Classroom Freebies Manic Monday

14 comments :

  1. Thanks for the freebie and informative post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post and great game! Looking forward to the others :) Thanks,
    Amy Burton

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You shouldn't have to wait long, Amy! Two are done, and I want to finish another to add to it.

      Donna

      Delete
  3. Cute idea, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this on Manic Monday, Donna. Those adorable piggies breathe new life into an old reliable game!

    Linda
    Primary Inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute, thanks for Sharing!

    http://readingwithmissd.blogspot.ca/p/my-freebies.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these types of games. Thanks for linking up with Manic Monday!
    Shawna
    The Picture Book Teacher's Edition

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your TPT link isn't working for me. Cute, practical product. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My son loves this game. We are working on teen numbers with him so I just added ones in front of all your digits and made our own dice to go with the game. A spinner would be great for those teen numbers. Anyway. Thanks for the printable! He loves pigs:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great idea! BTW, I love the pigs, too. :)

      Delete
  9. Hi Donna,
    Just wanted to let you know that I thought this blog post was great, so I shared it in my Thumbs up Thumbs down post (as a Thumbs up of course).
    Shawna
    The Picture Book Teacher's Edition

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Shawna! I love your Thumbs up Thumbs down idea. I'll have to be sure to visit on Thursdays. :)

      Delete

Comments make me smile! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...