Tuesday, January 17, 2012

CRA Sequence of Instruction


I talk a LOT about teaching using the concrete-->representational-->abstract sequence of instruction.  Since I'm often involved in remediation, I see the results of kiddos who are rushed to the abstract stage too quickly, so that is a big focus of mine.  I think the best way to illustrate what's meant by CRA is with an example.  First grade has been working on addition with 3 addends, and this is an activity I developed for them.  First, students use teddy bear counters (concrete).  Next, they use ten-frames (representational).  Finally, they use number cubes with the digits (abstract), not dice with pips.

Click here to grab your copy.






13 comments:

  1. I love the CRA stages you talk about in the activities you create! It's so helpful!
    Thanks,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd never heard specifically of CRA, but for years I followed the Math Their Way strategy of teaching math and that's exactly what Math Their Way is all about too. Thanks for the freebies!
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. You're welcome, Dana! Thanks for leaving a comment. :)

      Delete
  4. Great idea! So much better than what I have seen in the textbooks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I think I dream about CRA...ha ha. :)

      Delete
  5. Thank you! I use a lot of your ideas for math. You need to come to Columbus, Ohio to give a workshop! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, that's sweet, Beth. I'm hoping to get out and about more! :)

      Delete
  6. For the teddy bear counter activity, do you write in the amount of each bear they should get or do they choose them? I noticed it has 4 color choices. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are departmentalizing this year and I am teaching math/science. I am always on the lookout for activities I can use in my math stations. These will be perfect. Thank you for sharing!
    Teachin' First

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent resource, you saved me so much time as I was going to make this myself! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...