Monday, January 23, 2012

Composing and Decomposing Numbers


One of the reasons I love teaching math is that it is so much different now than when I was in elementary school (Google paleolithic age for a frame of reference).  Take composing and decomposing numbers.  I don't remember ever "playing" with numbers.  I learned to count, I learned to write my numbers, I learned addition and subtraction facts, but I don't remember ever learning that there are lots of ways to make 5, or any number for that matter.  John Van de Walle devotes pages to explaining the importance of composing and decomposing numbers, and parts and wholes (also called part-part-whole) are foundational to Singapore Math.

Under a Rock is my take on an activity that is commonly used in classrooms to explore parts and wholes.  In this activity, the child knows the whole and one of the parts.  It is their task to determine the missing part.  Do you hear the algebraic thinking going on there?  Students will work with a partner, and each pair of students needs counters and a plastic cup (can't be transparent).  Students choose, or are given, a target number.  They count out that many counters and the number is recorded as the whole.  Player 1 covers his/her eyes, while Player 2 puts some of the counters "under the rock" (the plastic cup).  Player 1 opens his/her eyes and tries to determine how many counters are under the rock.  The cup is lifted to check Player 1's answer, and the two parts are listed on the recording sheet.  The partners repeat the process with another combination for the target number.  Oh, did I mention that this is concrete learning, so there's that CRA sequence of instruction again!

I hope you enjoy this activity!  For another great composing/decomposing activity, check out Composing and Decomposing Numbers with Dot Cards at my TPT store.  


Classroom Freebies Manic Monday




11 comments :

  1. This is great!! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this Donna! You have the best Math ideas! (I guess that is why you have your job :) So glad I follow your blog for the wonderful ideas!
    Nicole
    Rowdy in Room 300

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've played this game with my kindergarten kids before, but never had a name for it. Now I do! (And a cute recording sheet to go along) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome! It's a game the kids never seem to tire of. :)

      Delete
  4. Just found your blog via pinterest! I needed to find a good math blog. Thanks for all you do!! New Texas follower!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a Math Recovery Teacher, this is fantastic! We play this game too, but never had a name for it either! I love the recording sheet. I will be using this in my classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this activity! Just referred to you in my blog post: http://jewishhomeschoolnyc.blogspot.com/2013/07/monday-math-ny-standards.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, Ilana! Thanks so much for sharing. :)

      Delete
  7. Donna-
    I just want you to know that you are an answer to prayer tonight! I needed new ideas and a math mentor to give me some fresh ideas and understanding in home-educating my kindergarten-and-preschool-age mathematicians, and I am so excited to have found your site. Thank you for what you are doing!
    Liesel

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've got 5 year old grandson and this is what he's been doing the last couple of months at school. I'm going to be tutoring my 12 year old great niece and she said she doesn't understand numbers, so this looks like a good blog for me to follow. I just need to figure out how to do it via Skype!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...